Tuesday, September 30, 2014

fo: Grey Amber of Summery Goodness (and Winter too!)

Grey Amber
Look, I crocheted a sweater!

Grey Amber Grey Amber
I mentioned this sweater last month when I was suddenly obsessed with crocheting.  We're heading off to a warmer climate this summer, and I wanted to make something for it (well, a few somethings, but we'll get to that later).  This seemed like a great garment to toss over a tank top and shorts or bathing suit, so I bought yarn and started hooking as soon as it arrived.

Pattern: 152-17 Amber, by Drops
Size: Small
Yarn: Knit Picks Comfy Worsted in Whisker
Hook: 5 mm

The thing is, I didn't exactly read the yarn requirements properly before I made my Knit Picks order.  Which is totally understandable since it was a 2 am order...  ANYWAYS, I ordered worsted weight, not DK as the patterns calls.  (For those who aren't yarn affici, worsted is a bit thicker and heavier than DK, which can effect your finished garment size since the stitches tend to be bigger and thicker as well).  I really wanted to use this yarn though, so I just did some maths (urk) and made up the size small...

Grey Amber
...with a bit of finangling around the neckline.  There's technically supposed to be a solid stripe right up to the neckline, but that didn't work out with my gauge.  And honestly, I really like the lattice lace at the neckline better anyways, so WIN!  I did do away with the loopy finish on the neckline though, and opted to just do single crochets around the whole neckline, partially to finish it but mostly to give it some support. 

Grey Amber Grey Amber
I sewed up the shoulders and side seams (from body hem to sleeve hem) using just a whip stitch.  Nothing fancy.  (I'm mostly showing these pics because I wished someone else had when I was trying to figure out how to sew this up.)

Grey Amber
There's no shaping to this sweater.  The lace and solid striped panels just tend to conform to your body shape without clinging, similar to bias-cut fabric.

I'm pretty tickled by the final result, even if the sweater does emphasize why I probably shouldn't do drop shoulders - emphasizes my narrow shoulders and wider hips.  Whatever, it's cute and comfortable and I adore it!

And don't think this is only a summer top!  I'm totally rocking this sweater here in camp, despite the suddenly frosted campsite, by layering it overtop one of my many long-sleeve tees.

Grey Amber
(Please forgive the office photo.)

Because I picked a heavier yarn, I didn't quite have enough to get the 3/4 length sleeves.  I realized this pretty early and panicked when I realized that Knit Picks wouldn't be restocking this colour until the end of November.  :O  So I found a woman on Ravelry who would sell me a couple balls.  A couple balls turned into 6.  But then, I realized I liked a shorter length anyways, because at my gauge, the sleeve would wind up full length - not what I wanted.  So I managed to use up nearly every little bit of my original 7 balls!

Knit Picks Comfy Worsted
And completely forgot about the extras until this arrived in my mail box.  Oops.  :) Oh well, I'm sure I'll find something to do with it!

Do any of you crochet?  Ever thought of hooking a sweater?  I certainly hadn't until I came across this!

5 comments:

  1. Great sweater! I love crochet even though I'm really a beginner at it, though the US vs British terminology thing does my head in. For anything at all complex i have to draw it in a diagram and follow that. So far I've only made hats and baby things. The thought of trying anything for myself is a bit scary - all that expensive wool and I might look like a doofus. Yours, on the other hand, is great and inspiring. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I`ve been crocheting for...on man, 25 years? But I never got into anything too complicated - mostly stuck to blankets and stuff. This, and the cowl I finished ages ago but haven't seamed yet (watch for it in the next week!), are the first "complicated" crochet patterns I've made. Was so nice to crochet again though! I really love it, even more so than knitting (even if it's harder on my wrists), and I've sort of missed it.

      This is a pretty good pattern to start with, if you're looking for a more complicated crochet pattern. It's pretty simple construction - the hardest part is figuring out the measurements (much easier if you follow the yarn requirements) and the final seaming. And the seaming isn't even that hard, once you stop stressing about it and just do it! :) Knit Picks isn't that expensive either - I think I paid about $20 for the yarn for this sweater? The comfy is really nice to work with. :)

      Delete
  2. That is an awesome crochet sweater - one of the nicest I've seen! You look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's a really great pattern, I'm so impressed with the finished result. Makes me want to try out other crocheted top patterns...

      Delete
  3. The solid band of fabric at the bottom is what pulls the eye to your hips, and the positive ease adds fabric, both of which add visual width.

    At your shoulders you have a form fitting mesh (the mesh doesn't attract the eye the way the solid lines do), so your shoulders lack the visual impact of your hips.

    The model has broad shoulders and slender hips, so the pattern balances her figure.

    If you want to emphasise your shoulders and downplay your hips (the two are the same thing), look for plain hems and broad necklines. Boat necks, short cowls, Norwegian-style colourwork yokes, anything to create a vertical line across your shoulders.

    ReplyDelete