Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Auto Sewing, Practical Plans, and New Labels


For once, my time out of camp didn't fly by.  I'm not sure why, usually it feels like I blink and it's time to go back to work.  It's not like it was boring or tedious - I had a fantastic time filled with friends and parties and skiing and chilling with The Boyfriend.  It was just...perfect.

I even had time to dig out my disaster of a sewing room (again) and do a bit of sewing.  I'd really just planned to cut out another version of my Linden in a solid purple ponte knit, and save the sewing for when I get back from camp.  But then The Boyfriend went to hockey, and all I remember was wondering into the sewing room to find a marker and suddenly there was this sitting on my sewing table:

wip: Linden Sweatshirt
Not the true colour.
Seriously though, this pattern goes together in no time.  There's six seams there: two for each raglan shoulder and one on each side.  After that, there's the sleeve cuffs, hem and neckband (which I didn't get to).  That's it.  Granted, I haven't attached any bands to this.  I was going to, but then The Boyfriend arrived home and distraction!

wip: Linden Sweatshirt
Not quite the true colour either, but closer.
My auto-sewing brain apparently choose to add some clear elastic to the raglan seams, probably because the cross-grain stretch along that seam seemed (heh) excessive, and thought this would stabilize it a bit.  I hope so, anyways.

This is going to be my January piece for Make a Garment a Month (MaGaM).  Their theme this month is 'something new' (or...something like that - I can't get on FB at work to confirm), and this definitely isn't a new pattern to me.  But the one thing I want on my other version of this top is a breast pocket to tuck my ipod or hair pin into, so I'm going to try my hand at adding a small zippered pocket. I've never done that before, and I think this stable knit should be able to handle it.

I'm tentatively planning on doing a lot of basic and very wearable garments this year that have little details (pockets, embroidery, maybe trims) to add more interest.  I want to challenge myself, but I also need wearable cake instead of pretty frosting!

2015 Makes Ribbon
The true colour, at last!  Silly camera.
Oh, and I found my 2015 labels!  I'll be adding a bit of this rainbow ribbon on garments and maybe some accessories to indicate the year it was made in.  Fun idea, eh?  I keep thinking about having proper labels made, but "Things I Make.  Plus Rocks" doesn't fit very well, and I like this idea better.  Plus it's much cheaper!

Do you add labels to your garments?  I found that my Linden really needed one, because there is very little difference between the front and back.  And it looks cute!

2 comments:

  1. Hi- I found you're other blog with a post about the Kate Davies Owls sweater, posted a comment/question and then found you're new blog. Thought I'd ask the question here too in case you don't see it there.

    This may be TMI and/or too personal but, you wrote about my exact dilemma. You're sweater looks amazing and I love the fit. Size-wise- are you are 42" and went with the 40" because the pattern says it looks better with 1-2" negative ease? I'm a 36" and trying to decide if I should knit the size 3 for a finished 36" bust or knit the size 2" for a 34" finished bust. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did see your question! I've left you a rambly response over there. So sorry that took so long to get back to you, our camp internet has been annoying.

      http://sewingonpins.blogspot.ca/2013/06/finished-project-great-green-owls.html?showComment=1421356570032#c6932584485043128449

      Delete