Saturday, January 24, 2015

wip: a Year in Temps 2015

Year in Temps 2015
Last year, I started a conceptual knitting project that involved knitting a scarf using different colours to represent daily temperatures.  Really cool idea, but despite having all the temps for 2013 (my first full calender year in the Yukon), I stalled out by April 2013.  I just wasn't a fan of how narrow the scarf was, and wasn't too happy with the way I was handling the ends.

(I just realized I wrote the post for this on Sewing on Pins exactly a year ago today.  Hilariously, I've also signed up for Holla Knits KAL again, but more on that another time.)

So I decided to restart it this year, but this time following along with 2015 temps.  I'm using the daily average temps from accuweather and trying to knit each day.  Sometimes I fall a bit behind, like in my last rotation in camp, but I enjoyed catching up on the previous 14 days.  You can see my progress below.

Year in Temps 2015
That dark blue section is when it dipped down to -25C to -29C (-13F to -20F).  I was a little disappointed because it was actually colder, cold enough that I could've used the black, but the average was a little warmer.  There are times I wish I could use the lows, but I'll also want to use the highs in the summer, so the averages is the best compromise.  I think that means I'll never use the extremes, but I accounted for that by putting all my favourite colours in the middle section!  I'm a smart cookie sometimes.  

The darker purple area?  That was nearly an entire week of above 0C (32F) temps!  ARRRGHHH not what a skier wants to see when she's sitting in camp and itching to get onto the hill or our for a cross-country trip.  Luckily we got a couple of good snow dumps in the last few days.  But that also means I can't actually drive up my street, which is a crescent on a hill and is literally uphill on both sides - combined with the iciness below the snow means my car is being parked a 15 minute walk away.  As you can see by the light purple and darker purple on the top, temps are still hovering above 0.  BRING ON THE COLD TEMPS!

These are my colours, ranging from coldest on the left and warmest on the right.  0C is the light purple in the middle.  I cast on 44 stitches this time to make the scarf a bit wider and am knitting a 1x1 rib.  I'll be starting and ending the scarf with 6 rows of white, and adding 3 rows of white between each month.

If you want the exact breakdown of temp colours and details on the pattern itself, you can check out my Ravelry project page.

This is going to be a fun year-long project!  I'll update you all every few months on my progress.  Have you ever tackled a long-term project like this?

4 comments:

  1. What an amazing idea. The colours are so pretty together whatever happens it will look fab. I also like how nerdy this is. Being nerdy is the best!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty nerdy, eh? I keep comparing the actual temps vs. forecasted temps and how current temps compare with previous years and yea gods I am such a geek! lol

      Delete
  2. I love this scarf, I'd like to do it next year! I'm doing a long term project this year too though - a mitten advent calendar. http://www.ravelry.com/projects/ElizabethiNorge/julevotter-adventscalendar I'm doing it on size 0's though to try and keep it as small and dainty as possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THAT IS SO CUTE! That'll be a fun project, and it's probably smart to work on it over the year instead of rushing through it closer to Christmas. :)

      I'm loving doing this scarf in real time. I thought having recorded temps would be better, but I like this a lot more.

      Delete