Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Startitis and the tttkal15

Ever since I finished my Cardboard Cafe, I've had a hard time focusing on one project.  I've started so many projects, both knitting and sewing, that I've sort of lost count.  I think I'm so indecisive because there are projects I need to finish by June 6th*, so of course I'll start anything and everything else.

So when Michelle at My So-Called Handmade Life invited me to join the Tops Tees and Tanks (TTT) KAL, of course I said yes!  And I had to start a new project.  Of course.


Source
I'm knitting up Avana, by Annie Rowden.  And since I've been itching for an excuse to try out Juniper Moon Farm's Zooey, a wonderfully soft and cozy cotton/linen blend, it seemed like the perfect opportunity.

Juniper Moon Farm - Zooey
I swatched yesterday and managed to get the loose gauge (sort of - the loose fabric it makes means it likes to stretch) on 6 mm needles.  And truth be told, I cast on last night as well, despite the KAL starting today.  BUT I HAVE A GOOD REASON FOR THAT.  I had to do an invisible provisional cast on, a tricky technique and something I've only done once before, and since I knew I wanted something simple to knit at my appointment, I figured I'd get it out of the way last night.

wip: Avana

wip: Avana
Glad I did, because I've gotten some good progress on it, about 3.5 inches!  And I should get some more, because it is gorgeous outside - the sun is shining, there's bright new leaves growing on the trees, and a lawn chair in the yard just calling my name.

Hope you all have/have had as nice of an afternoon as I'm going to!



*I'll tell you about what's happening on June 6th later.  :D

4 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm so glad you joined. Your Avana looks so great! I am now wanting to knit one so bad that I'm stalking a few yarn sites. I have a feeling I'll be knitting one before summer ends, especially if it knits up that quickly.
    I think doing a provisional cast on the day before is a necessary evil, like swatching. You have to get that stuff over with so you can focus on the knitting, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again for the invite! I don't think I would've if you hadn't. :)

      I sort of forgot how much quicker plain stockinette is, especially compared to all the fancy stuff I've been doing of late. There's not even any increases or decreases in the main body, just plain knitting (and purling for the first section), pretty much until you get to the lace border. I'm already 7" in. SO QUICK!

      It's a neat design, and I'm excited to see how it turns out. And how yours will! Any ideas for yarn types yet? I'm sure you'll hickup and be done this thing. LOL

      Delete
  2. Ooh what a lovely summer make. And now I am busting to know what is happening 6 June!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, I'll let you guys know later on today!

      Delete