Wednesday, November 08, 2017

fo: (Pumpkin Spice) Fredrika Socks

So remember that sock I mentioned at the end of my last post

I uh...finished them.

fo: Fredrika Socks
These were the quickest socks I've ever knit.  Granted, I shortened them to ankle-length to get the pair from one ball of yarn, and the yarn itself is worsted.  But I don't really attribute either of those to my speed.

fo: Fredrika Socks
I entirely blame the pattern itself.  It was addicting!  Each section was quick and interesting, with 4 different (but relatively easy) charts to finish, and a unique heel method that had me fascinated by the whole process - both times!  They just seemed to fall off of the needles.

fo: Fredrika Socks
Which is good because it's -17C outside right now and my floors are damn cold!

fo: Fredrika Socks
Pattern: Fredrika, by Tiina Kuu
Yarn: Custom Woolen Mills CWM Sock Yarn 4-ply
Needles: 3.5 mm
Modifications: Shortened to ankle-length

I actually knit these as an excuse to use one of Custom Woolen Mill's new sock yarns.  I'm not a quick sock knitter in general, and I resisted using their 2 ply (fingering weight) yarn.  And then the 4 ply (worsted weight) yarn arrived, and there ended any resistance.  This yarn is hardy and rustic - entirely my sort of yarn, and with 30% nylon, it'll hold up to all sorts of dragging my feet around my home.  This colour called to me too, and I'm so excited to wear these suckers!

fo: Fredrika Socks
If you have any sort of interest in sock knitting, do yourself a favour and knit these socks.  The pattern is even free, so you have no excuse!  I'm torn between making another pair, or tackling this pair that my fingers are itching to start.

9 comments:

  1. Nice!! I am sure those will keep your feet toasty warm.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look like the perfect house socks! I'm so glad your feet have something to keep them warm! Which reminds me, it's past time that I dug out my slippers for the winter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you find them! All 3 of mine have wandered off during the summer...

      I think you'd enjoy knitting these socks. And they'd be lightening fast at the rate you knit socks! :D

      Delete
  3. What a pretty sock, it looks like it has a corset on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IT SO DOES LOOK LIKE SOCK CORSETS! I mentioned that to a couple of customers today after reading your comment, and everyone agreed with you! :D

      Delete
    2. I've never worn hand-knit socks, but out of curiosity - doesn't that corset seam rub against one's shoes?

      Delete
    3. Probably, but these are house socks. Once they come home from the shop (they look too good to not use them as a sample for a little while), I'll exclusively be wearing them at home. :)

      Delete
  4. Available in solid colors and even many optional colors can be ordered as well.custom merino wool socks

    ReplyDelete